Monday, January 23, 2012

The Most Inspirational Coach I Have Ever Had

I have had many coaches for various sports throughout my life. Some coaches were better than others and had more of an impact on my life. I will never forget my travel soccer coach named Coach Quentin. He also happened to be a physical educator in another school district and served as a mentor to me when I was deciding on my career path and decided to follow my dream of being a physical education teacher. Coach Quentin was my soccer coach for 8 years of my life and I believe that working with him for that long definitely left a lasting impact on my life. One of my favorite parts of being on his team was the fact that he would always read an inspirational quote to us before each and every game. This quote challenged us to be the best athlete that we could be and that we needed to leave everything on the field. I think that the fact that he was also a physical educator and not just a coach made a lasting impression on me. While some athletes dread going to practice, I was always excited to see what fun and exciting things that he had planned for the day. He always found the perfect balance between drills and working on skill as well as incorporating game-like situations and fun, competitive games. I will never forget one particular tournament we went to. We lost our first three games and needed to win the next one to stay in the tournament. We all knew that we did not want to head home and Coach Quentin gave us the best pep talk that I think I have ever had. He told us that he knew we were fighters and that we had the talent to beat each team that was at the tournament if we put our heart and minds to it. We ended up making a remarkable come back and coming in first place overall in the tournament. I will never forget what it felt like to win that tournament and feel that all our hard work had really paid off. I hope that one day I will be an extraordinary coach and teacher just like Coach Quentin was.

No comments:

Post a Comment