Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Closer Look at Different Learning Styles

I think that one of the most important things I have learned as a future teacher is that there are many different learning styles and it is important that we accommodate all the various styles is we want the students to experience success. Some of the different learning styles that are most common include visual, auditory, and kinesthetic. Students who are visual learners will learn best by seeing information. This may be in the form of looking at posters, graphs, and textbooks. Auditory learners obviously learn best by hearing and do well with remembering what teachers said lecturing. They learn well by reciting verbally things that they need to study and memorize. Kinesthetic Learners learn best by “doing”.

Let’s take the simple task of tying ones shoes and examine how each learner would learn how to tie their shoes:
VISUAL: This type of learner could be given a step-by-step list of instructions or see the instructions on a poster. They would be able to follow the instructions one by one to ultimately tie their shoes.
AUDITORY: This type of learner would best learn how to tie their shoes by listening to a teacher or peer say the directions step by step out loud.
KINESTHETIC: This type of learner would learn best by physically watching someone tying their shoe and copying the exact movement at the same time.

One class will consist of many different learners and thus I know it will be my job as a future physical educator to make sure I take the different learning styles into consideration in my classroom. I will hang up bright and colorful posters. I will have a loud and clear voice. I will show the proper demonstration of the different skills and activities that I will be teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment