Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ahoy there, Matey!

This week was our first real lab at St. Mary’s. I was really, really excited but a little nervous at the same time.  The theme of the week was pirates!! My teaching partners and I were assigned to work with the pre-k students. We met twice the week prior to lab to make sure we were ready for the lab. We planned our lesson, made posters and a treasure chest, and also bought pirate accessories. I picked out a book called “How I became a Pirate” to read to the students while another one of my partners planned a craft and my other partner designed a pirate themed games. Even though we were dressed a little bit ridiculous, I really think that the pre-k students liked seeing the way we were dressed. They really seemed to enjoy the book I read and loved interrupting to ask questions and point out different things they saw in the pictures! Although we didn’t have time for the coloring craft, I really think that the kids enjoyed the games. The last game led the kids to a treasure chest full of mardi-gras bead necklaces and each kid got to take one home. I think they really liked this!
 During this lab we also got to observe the students playing three games right when we got to the school. We were asked to observe the students locomotor skills in terms of running, galloping, and hopping. It was interesting to see where the younger children were in terms of development. I think it would be fair to say that the students had the most trouble with the hopping, but did a good job with running and galloping.
Overall I think that this lab went well! I am excited to go to St. Mary's again in 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment